• What is the difference between a CP12 and a Landlords’ Gas Safety Certificate?

    Landlords are legally required to get all the gas appliances and flues in their residential property portfolio checked every year and provided with a Gas Safety certificate. This gas safety check must be undertaken by a properly-qualified engineer – Someone who is Gas Safe Register.

  • So, What is a CP12?

    Gas safety records are frequently referred to as CP12 certificates. This name is a little bit out-of-date – CP12 is a shortening of CORGI Proforma 12, and dates back to when CORGI were the main UK body for gas safety matters. However, while gas engineers used to have to be CORGI-registered, this ceased being the case in 2009 in the UK and in 2010 in Guernsey and Northern Ireland, and the Gas Safe Register became the official registration body after this time. So a CP12 is the same as a Gas Safety Certificate.

  • What information is provided on a Certificate.

    At a minimum, the record needs to contain:

    • A description and location of each appliance/flue checked
    • Name, registration number and signature of the engineer who carried out the check
    • Date on which the check was carried out
    • The address of the property where the appliance/flue is installed
    • The name and address of the landlord (or their agent where applicable)
    • Any safety defect identified and any action required or taken to rectify it
    • Confirmation of the results of the operational safety checks carried out on the appliances.

    Landlords also have a legal duty to maintain pipework in a safe condition, so many proprietary forms also include the facility for the registered engineer to record the results of pipework integrity tests which indicate whether or not the pipework installation is safe.

  • Not a Landlord - What documentation is required?

    If you are not a landlord, there’s no legal requirement for registered engineers to provide any documentation. In most cases we provide you with some documentation as it is good practice to do so.

    The level of detail provided on any documentation depends on the type of work undertaken and could vary from a simple job sheet or invoice to a record containing a similar level of detail and information to that provided in a Landlord’s Gas Safety Record. So if you require something specific, make sure you have agreed this with your registered engineer before they start work.